So I’m in the process of making my daily zucchini dish … at least I can tell that is what it is going to turn into. I’ve eaten a couple of the smaller zucchini already, but I picked the first one of any consequential size this morning and decided to fix a casserole for dinner tonight. I picked another smaller one to round out the dish. When I picked it, I pulled off the flower (which is edible too, btw), and a little honeybee flew out. 🙂
Awww, here’s the first feller …
Here’s the recipe … pretty easy and quick too …
2 cups bread, cubed (I used some day old baguette … mmmm)
1/4 to 1/3 cup melted butter
2 cups sliced zucchini
1/2 onion, shredded
1 egg, beaten (I used egg beaters)
3 cloves freshly pressed garlic 🙂
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used a four cheese mix)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place bread cubes in a bowl and pour butter over the bread.
- Add the zucchini, onion, garlic, salt and egg; mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8×8 or 9×13 baking dish and top with the cheese.
- Bake, covered, in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Then uncover the dish and bake for another 30 minutes.
It looks and sounds so incredibly good, can’t wait to try it … will let you know how it turned out! I can tell that I’m going to have to come up with all sorts of creative uses for zucchini over the next few weeks. This plant is a prolific producer. And it’s my goal not to waste a single vegetable from the garden, so I might end up having to give some away.